The Armagnac perfumes the prunes and imparts its lovely taste to the goose. Prunes and goose are a classic combination. This is also excellent with turkey and capon.
- ¼ cup butter
- 1½ cups chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1½ cups chopped pitted prunes
- 2 tablespoons Armagnac or brandy
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon grated orange rind
- 2 teaspoons grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon chopped thyme
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 3 cups fresh breadcrumbs
- ½ cup chicken stock
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
Melt butter in a skillet over medium low heat. Add onion and sauté for 5 minutes. Add celery and cook for 5 minutes more or until celery is soft and onions are slightly golden.
Remove from heat and stir in prunes, Armagnac, soy sauce, grated orange rind, ginger, thyme and parsley. Add breadcrumbs and stir in enough stock to moisten. Season well with salt and pepper. Yields 3 to 4 cups.