Grilled fennel has a sweetness that balances the apples and salty prosciutto in this recipe. Serve with grilled chicken or salmon for a great combination.
- 1 large fennel bulb sliced in 8 pieces
- 4 tsp vegetable oil
- 6 slices prosciutto
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tart apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup crumbled ricotta salata
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp cider vinegar
- 1 tsp crushed fennel seeds
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Whisk together mustard, vinegar, fennel seeds and olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Reserve.
Preheat grill to high. Brush fennel with 1 tbsp vegetable oil. Lay slices on grill and cook for 4 minutes a side or until tender. Remove from grill and reserve. Brush prosciutto with remaining oil and lay on grill. Grill 30 seconds a side with the lid down or until crisp.
Remove cores from fennel then coarsely chop. Toss with red onion, apple slices and enough vinaigrette to just coat the vegetables.
Plate salad and top with ricotta salata and a slice of prosciutto.