Without pecans these are sensational butter tarts. They never keep because they are so good they are quickly devoured.
Makes 12 tarts.
- Pastry of your choice
- 1 cup (250 mL) brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) melted butter
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) maple or corn syrup
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) vanilla essence
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) chopped pecans
Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
Roll out pastry thinly and cut 3-inch (8-cm) rounds to fit 12 muffin tins or individual tart tins. Whisk together sugar, butter, maple syrup, eggs and vanilla. When combined, stir in pecans. Fill each pastry shell until ¾ full.
Bake tarts for 15 to 20 minutes or until filling is set and pastry is cooked.