I love the tangle of flavours in Malaysian cooking. Influenced by both Asian and Indian cultures, it is true fusion food.
- 1 1/2 lb (750 g) hamburger meat
- 1 tbsp medium Indian curry paste
- 1 tbsp hoisin
- 2 tsp grated ginger
- Chili Ginger Salsa:
- 2 bird’s eye chilies, seeded and chopped
- 2-inch piece ginger, peeled and chopped
- 2 tsp chopped garlic, about 3 medium cloves
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 3 tbsp rice vinegar
- 3 tbsp coconut milk
- 2 tbsp chopped mint
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped grilled onion
- 1/2 cup chopped grilled eggplant
- Vegetable oil
- 4 iceberg or butter lettuce leaves
Mix meat with curry paste, hoisin and grated ginger. Season well with salt. Do not overwork. Form into 4 balls.
Combine chilies, ginger, garlic, turmeric, vinegar, coconut milk, mint and sugar in mini chop or by hand. Stir in grilled onion and eggplant. Reserve.
Preheat grill to high. Brush each ball with oil and place on grill. Immediately flatten them to 3/4-inch thick patties. Grill 4 minutes on each side for medium or 3 minutes on each side for medium rare.
Serve burgers in a lettuce leaf and top with chili ginger salsa.