A completely different take on current culinary favourite, Brussels sprouts. Serve as a side dish or a salad.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cups Brussels sprouts, halved
- 2/3 cup white pearl onions, halved
- 2 teaspoons Chinese five-spice mixture
- 2/3 cup chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons chives, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
Heat pan over medium-high heat. Add oil. Place Brussels sprouts and pearl onions face down and sear for 2 minutes, or until light to golden brown. Add five-spice mixture and stock.
Reduce heat and simmer for an additional 3 to 5 minutes, or until Brussels sprouts have a slight bite to them. Add water if stock disappears.
Remove from pan and toss with buttermilk, lemon juice and chives.
Season with salt and pepper. Serve at room temperature.