With rich flavours, a sharp salad gives a contrast in tastes, which complements the meal. Toast pine nuts in a dry frying pan on medium-low heat until golden brown, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- 2 Belgian endives, sliced
- 1 small head radicchio, sliced
- 2 bunches watercress, stems removed
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) toasted pine nuts
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) tapenade
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) olive oil
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) chopped fresh parsley
- Freshly ground pepper
Combine endives, radicchio and watercress in a bowl. Top with red onion and pine nuts.
Combine garlic and balsamic vinegar in a bowl. Stir in tapenade. Whisk in oil. Stir in parsley and season with pepper. Pour dressing over salad and toss together.