- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs
- 3 Belgian endives, shredded
- 1 head radicchio, shredded (about 6 cups)
- 1 1/4 cups chopped red onion
- 1 egg, hard-boiled
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 4 anchovies, chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
Heat 2 teaspoons olive oil in a small frying pan over medium heat. Add breadcrumbs and toast, stirring until golden, about 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from heat and cool.
Place endive and radicchio in a medium bowl with onion. Grate egg over the salad.
Whisk together mustard, anchovies, garlic, vinegar and 1/4 cup olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Toss salad with vinaigrette, then breadcrumbs. Serve immediately.
This salad, enticing though it is, will be kind to no wine. Pungent mustard, sharp vinegar, egg, raw onion – that’s quite the arsenal. Best to go with a very crisp, light Mediterranean white. -Beppi Crosariol