- 2 teaspoon ground fennel or anise seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- ¾ cup flour
- 2 3-pound (1.5 kilogram) chickens cut into 8 portions each
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 cup hot chicken stock or water
- ¼ cup honey
- ¾ cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 tablespoon chopped mint
Combine fennel, allspice, ginger, salt and pepper with flour. Coat chicken pieces with mixture and reserve.
Preheat oven to 375 F (190 C).
Heat oil in skillet. Add chicken pieces in batches and fry until golden brown on each side – about 3 minutes a side.
Place chicken in 1 or 2 oven-proof baking dishes. Stir together garlic, stock, honey, orange juice, mustard, soy, ginger and lime juice. Pour over chicken and bake uncovered for 40 to 45 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and coated with sauce. Sprinkle with mint.
The chicken would be splendid with riesling, and there are many kosher options, including those of Willm in Alsace. – Beppi Crosariol