Makes: 4 burgers
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh dill
- 1 tbsp finely chopped garlic
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 6-ounce (175-gram) fillets of Pacific Coast salmon
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp fresh sage, chopped
- 1/4 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp minced garlic, minced
- Romaine lettuce
- red onion, sliced
Combine dill, garlic and salt and pepper. Pat salmon fillets with mixture. Mix together garlic aioli ingredients.
Heat oil in skillet on medium high heat. Add salmon to pan.
Sear about 3 minutes per side or until salmon is still slightly pink in centre.
Spread aioli on bannock, add lettuce and onions. Top with salmon.
For this herbed salmon burger with zesty mayo, I’d opt for a white with fresh acidity to dance with the dressing and slice through the bannock’s oily exterior. Unoaked chardonnay or grassy New Zealand sauvignon blanc are fine options, though B.C. pinot gris would not be out of place. - Beppi Crosariol