Rubs give added character to beef or chicken, but won't tenderize already tender cuts of meat. Use lots of rub for a spicy zest, less for a more subtle taste.
- 1/4 cup coarse salt such as kosher or sea salt
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard powder
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 2 tablespoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper
Combine salt, sugar, mustard powder, chili powder, paprika, cayenne pepper and black pepper in a bowl and mix together. Store in an airtight jar away from heat and light. It will keep for at least 6 months. Makes about 1 cup.