Served on bagels instead of pumpernickel bread, this simple and effective sandwich combines the tanginess of watercress with the richness of salmon.
- 1/2 cup deli-style cream cheese
- 1 1/2 cups watercress leaves
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 6 mini-bagels
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 8 ounces (250 grams) smoked salmon
- Sprigs chervil or dill
Combine cream cheese and watercress in a food processor or mini-chop and pulse until well combined. Stir in green onions, maple syrup and grated lemon rind and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Cut bagels in half and spread thinly with butter. Spread on watercress-cream cheese mixture. Cut each half bagel into 4 pieces and top each quarter with a folded piece of smoked salmon and a sprig of chervil. Makes 48 pieces.