Mashed potatoes are a given for Christmas dinner and these are creamy and full of flavour even with no butter, milk or cream. The answer is lots of garlic and a touch of truffle.
- 3 pounds (1.5 kilograms) Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 heads garlic, root end trimmed
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 3/4 to 1 cup potato cooking water
- 1 teaspoon truffle oil (optional)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
Separate garlic cloves and place in a pot of cold salted water along with potatoes. Bring to a boil and boil until potatoes and garlic cloves are tender when pierced with a fork. Drain and reserve potato cooking water separately. Discard any garlic skins.
Mash together potatoes and garlic. Add olive oil and beat until combined. Add enough potato cooking water to reach a soft creamy consistency. Beat in truffle oil if using and season well with salt and pepper to taste. Serves 6.