This sandwich is a real treat for vegetarians who crave a meaty taste.
- 4 Portobello mushrooms (or 8 ounces/250 grams large mushrooms)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 ounces (100 grams) goat cheese
- 1/4 cup pesto
- 8 slices baguette, thinly sliced on the bias to make long thin sandwiches
- 4 leaves radicchio
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
Preheat oven to 450 F.
Trim stems from mushrooms. Wipe mushrooms clean with paper towel.
Combine olive oil, balsamic vinegar, soy sauce and garlic. Brush mixture over mushrooms on both sides and season with salt and pepper.
Place mushrooms gill-side up on a baking sheet and roast for 15 minutes or until juicy and cooked through. Let cool and slice thinly.
Mix together goat cheese and pesto. Spread on all 8 slices of bread. Top 4 slices with mushrooms and radicchio. Season with salt and pepper. Cap with second slice of bread. Press down with your hand.
Heat a panini pan or stovetop grill pan on medium-high heat. Finish by lightly oiling outside of sandwiches with remaining 2 tablespoons oil and grill for 4 minutes, turning once or until bread is golden and cheese is melting. Makes 4 sandwiches.