Jerusalem artichokes - knobby root vegetables that are neither from Jerusalem nor artichokes but provide the same flavour - add an unexpected twist to creamy soup. Garnish with some chives and a grating of Parmesan.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 11/2 cups chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon garlic, chopped
- 1 pound plus 12 ounces (875 grams) Jerusalem artichokes, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks (about 4 cups)
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1/3 cup whipping cream
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Pinch cayenne
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- Shavings of Parmesan cheese
Heat butter in a pot over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and sauté for 2 minutes or until softened. Add artichokes and sauté for 1 minute. Pour in stock and bring to a boil. Cover, turn heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes or until artichokes are tender.
Purée soup using a hand blender or food processor. Return soup to pot, add cream and season with salt, pepper and cayenne.
Bring soup back up to a boil, and then simmer for 2 minutes. Sprinkle soup with chives, a little grated Parmesan and a swirl of cream. Serves 6