This spread with contrasting elements tastes great on grilled bread. Leafy greens, of course, are among the healthiest vegetables to eat. I like spinach, chard, rapini and the dino (black) kale also known as cavallo nero. Use any or all.
- 2 pounds (1 kilogram) fresh greens, rinsed, stems and stalks removed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 6 anchovy fillets, chopped
- 2 teaspoons capers
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup chopped pitted Kalamata olives
- 2 tablespoons raisins
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 slices grilled Italian bread rubbed with cut side of garlic clove
- 1/2 cup grated provolone or fontina cheese
Boil greens in salted water for 10 minutes, refresh in cold water and squeeze out excess liquid.
Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and sauté for 30 seconds or until fragrant. Add greens and fry (using tongs to separate greens) for 2 minutes or until well flavoured with garlic. Add anchovies, capers and chili flakes and sauté another 1 minute or until anchovies are softened. Add olives and raisins and remove from heat. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Let cool.
Pile marmalade on grilled bread, sprinkle with cheese and place under the broiler for 1 to 2 minutes or until cheese is melted. Cut in half. Serves 6.