Use a wok or a large non-stick skillet to prepare this dish. Always heat your wok before adding oil and stir-fry over high heat. Time is of the essence, so chop and measure everything beforehand.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped ginger
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon sambal oelek or other hot sauce
- 1 pound (500 grams) asparagus, tough ends removed, cut into 2-inch lengths
- 1 pound (500 grams) shrimp, shelled
- 4 shiitake mushrooms, stems removed, quartered
- 3 green onions, cut into 2-inch lengths
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ¼ cup chicken stock
Heat oil in a wok or large non-stick skillet over high heat. Add ginger, garlic and sambal oelek and stir-fry for 30 seconds. Add asparagus and stir-fry for 1 minute. Add shrimp, mushrooms and green onions and cook until shrimp are pink (about 2 minutes).
Combine soy sauce, oyster sauce, sugar and stock, add to wok and bring to boil, tossing to coat shrimp and veggies. Serves 4.