- 2 teaspoons Asian chili sauce such as Sriracha
- 2 teaspoons grated ginger
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 8-ounce boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons wasabi paste
- 2/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup chopped pickled ginger
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 12 bread slices
- A few thin slices red onion
- A few thin slices cucumber
- A handful of spicy lettuce or arugula
Combine chili sauce, ginger and oil. Brush on chicken breasts. Season with salt and pepper.
Preheat grill to high.
Grill breasts about to 6 minutes per side or until juices are clear. Cool and roughly chop.
Whisk wasabi into mayonnaise. Stir in ginger and soy sauce.
Place chicken and mayonnaise mixture in a food processor and pulse until slightly chunky or hand chop.
Place bread on counter. Top 6 slices each with 1/2 cup chicken mixture. Add onion, cucumber and lettuce. Top with second slice of bread. Press down. For the most formal presentation, cut off the crusts or simply slice in half.
If you prefer wine, consider rosé, especially one with a hint of sweetness to tame the hot sauce and wasabi, or a jammy, bold red zinfandel. - Beppi Crosariol