This is a great family appetizer as you can all sit around the table and make your own. Iceberg lettuce leaves make perfect little cups for finger food and I buy a barbecued chicken to make this. Leftovers can be mixed together and served as a chicken salad. You can roll the mixture in leaf lettuce if desired.
- 1 head iceberg lettuce, cored and separated into leaves
- 1 small barbecued chicken, skinned and boned
- 2 teaspoons grated ginger
- ½ cup hoisin sauce
- 1 teaspoon chili sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 cup slivered cucumber
- 1 cup slivered green onion
- 1 cup slivered red pepper
- 1½ cups thinly sliced Napa cabbage
- ½ cup chopped peanuts or other nuts
- Coriander sprigs
Shred chicken and reserve. Cut lettuce leaves into cups or leave whole and wrap the filling mixture inside.
Combine ginger, hoisin sauce, chili sauce and rice wine vinegar in a bowl. Toss half of mixture with chicken, reserving remaining half for dipping sauce.
To serve, place lettuce leaves in piles on a platter. Add piles of chicken, cucumber, green onion, red pepper, Napa cabbage and peanuts around the platter and garnish with coriander. Place remaining sauce in a bowl. Let guests make their own wraps and eat by hand. Serves 6 to 8 as an appetizer, 4 as main course.