This filling dinner soup is light and flavourful.
- 3 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- ¼ teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons grated ginger
- 8 ounces (250 grams) salmon, skinned and thinly sliced
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 2 cups baby bok choy, broken into leaves
- 4 shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and thinly sliced
- 1 piece nori, thinly sliced
- 4 ounces (125 grams) udon noodles, cooked
- Handful coriander sprigs
- Togarashi or chili flakes to taste
Combine 2 tablespoons soy sauce, sugar and 1 teaspoon ginger in a small bowl. Brush over salmon slices. Set aside.
Heat chicken stock, remaining 1 tablespoon soy sauce and remaining 1 teaspoon ginger in a pot over medium high heat. Add onions and simmer for 1 minute. Add bok choy and mushrooms and cook another minute. Reduce heat to medium, add salmon and nori and cook 30 seconds longer or until salmon is cooked.
Divide udon between 4 soup bowls. Add salmon and ladle soup on top. Garnish with coriander sprigs and a sprinkling of togarashi or chili flakes. Serves 4.