- 1 6-ounce (175-gram) boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 2 tablespoons teriyaki sauce
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 2 shallots, sliced
- 5 cups chicken or fish broth
- 2 teaspoons grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon Chinese chili sauce
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 4 ounces (125 grams) ramen or instant noodles
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 3 shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 2 green onions, slivered
- 1 carrot, cut in julienne strips
- 2 tablespoons fresh coriander, slivered
- 2 tablespoons fresh mint leaves, slivered
- 1 lime, cut in wedges
- Sprigs of mint and coriander
- Red chilis
1 cup bean sprouts
Marinate chicken with teriyaki sauce for 20 minutes. Heat oil in a small pan over medium heat, then add shallots and fry until brown and crispy. Drain and reserve.
Combine chicken broth, ginger, chili sauce, fish sauce and vinegar in a pot. Bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes.
Rinse noodles in a colander. Grill or broil chicken for about 2 to 3 minutes per side or until juices are clear.
Cool slightly and shred.
Add onions, mushrooms, green onions, coriander, mint, chicken and noodles to broth. Taste for seasoning, adding more fish sauce or rice vinegar as needed.
Cook for two minutes more or until everything is hot. Divide into two large bowls. Sprinkle shallots over soup and serve with lime wedges, mint, coriander, chilis and bean sprouts on the side.