- 1 pound (500 grams) squid
- ½ cup water
- 1 cup low sodium fish or chicken stock
- 1 shallot, peeled and halved
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 whole dried red chili
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- ½ teaspoon lemon rind, grated
- 2 tablespoons chives, chopped
- 4 cups cauliflower, shaved
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
Cut squid into 3-inch 8-cm strips then dice strips. Bring water, stock, shallot, garlic and chili to boil. Add squid and simmer covered for 15 to 25 minutes or until tender.
Drain squid and return liquid to pot. Boil over high heat for 10 minutes or until reduced to about ½ cup and thickened slightly. Discard shallot, garlic, chili and stir in 2 tablespoons butter. Return squid and add grated lemon rind and chives.
Heat remaining 2 tablespoons butter in sauté pan over medium high heat and sauté cauliflower for 3 minutes or until lightly golden and tender-crisp. Toss with squid and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Divide among serving dishes.