- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 ½ pounds (750 grams) boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 ½ pounds (750 grams) mini Yukon Gold potatoes
- 1 red pepper, sliced
- 1 medium Spanish onion, sliced (about 3 cups)
- 1 banana pepper or several small jalapenos, thickly sliced
- 2 tablespoons garlic, chopped
- 1 large Savoy cabbage, leaves torn off
- 4 Spanish chorizo sausages, cut in thirds (about 14 ounces/400 grams)
- 2 pounds (1 kilogram) smoked pork spare ribs or pork chops
- 3 pounds (1.5 kilograms) clams
- 2 pounds (1 kilogram) mussels
- 1 cup white wine
Heat oil in a large grill-proof wide pot over high heat on the barbecue. Add chicken and cook for 2 minutes or until lightly brown. Add potatoes, red peppers, onions, banana peppers and half of garlic, season with salt and pepper and cook for 4 minutes or until softened. Cover tightly with cabbage leaves. Add sausage and spare ribs and cover with more cabbage leaves. Add clams, mussels and remaining garlic, pour wine over top and cover with a final layer of cabbage leaves. Cover pot tightly with a lid.
Keep barbecue heat at about 325 F and cook for about 40 minutes or until everything is cooked and steaming hot.
Remove pot from barbecue and separate clams, mussels, sausage, chicken and pork on a platter. Serve cabbage as well. Everyone helps themselves.
Pebre is a fresh-tasting Chilean herbal hot sauce. Heat it up with more chilies, if desired. It is excellent with simple meats, chicken or fish. Combined with some sour cream, it is a great dip for vegetable chips.
Servings: 1 cup
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Ready In: 12 minutes
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1 cup chopped green onions
- 1 cup loosely packed coriander
- 1 cup loosely packed Italian parsley leaves
- 2 tablespoons seeded and chopped jalapeno pepper
- Salt to taste
Place all ingredients in a food processor or mini chop and process until combined but still has a bit of texture. Season with salt to taste.