- 1/2 cup kosher salt
- 4 cups water
- 4 chicken thighs, bone in, skin on
- 4 chicken drumsticks, bone in, skin on
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1/3 cup coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons semolina flour
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons Chicken Shake (recipe below)
- White pepper to taste
- Frying oil
Combine salt and water and stir to make brine. Add chicken and let sit for 1 1/2 hours. Rinse with cold water and pat dry.
Combine buttermilk, coconut milk and garlic in a sealable plastic bag. Add chicken, shake to coat and let marinate in the refrigerator overnight.
Combine all-purpose flour, semolina flour, cornstarch, Chicken Shake and white pepper.
Remove chicken from marinade, allowing excess to drip off. Roll chicken in breading and shake off excess.
Heat oil in a large pot or wok to 300F. Drop chicken into oil and fry for about 15 minutes or until inner temperature is at least 165F.
Remove chicken and place on a rack to drain. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Season with extra Chicken Shake to taste.
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3 tablespoons cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground fenugreek
- 1 teaspoon ground garlic
- 2 teaspoons celery salt
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- ¼ cup smoked spicy paprika
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground pepper
Combine in a mixing bowl and stir until blended. Makes about ¾ cup.