- 1 pound (500 grams) asparagus, trimmed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- ½ fennel bulb
- 1 avocado
- 2 tablespoon shallots or green onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ginger, grated
- ½ teaspoon orange rind, grated
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh mint, chopped
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.
Preheat oven to 450F.
Toss asparagus in olive oil and place on a baking sheet. Season with salt and pepper. Bake 5 to 7 minutes depending on the thickness of the stalks. Asparagus should be crisp-tender and browned. Remove to platter and cool.
Trim base from fennel bulb and remove core and stalks. With a mandoline or sharp knife, slice very thinly. Add to asparagus.
Cut avocado in half and scoop out flesh with a large spoon. Slice and scatter over asparagus and fennel. Season everything with salt and pepper.
Combine shallots, ginger, orange rind, mustard, soy sauce and vinegar in a bowl and whisk in oil. Add mint and season well. Toss with salad.