- 2 pounds chicken thighs, on the bone with skin
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 large onions cut in 1-inch dice
- 2 tablespoons minced ginger
- 3 large parsnips, peeled and cut into 1-inch lengths
- 4 celery stalks (as above)
- 5 sprigs fresh thyme
Preheat oven to 450 F.
Season chicken thighs with salt and pepper. Heat skillet over medium high heat. Add 2 tablespoons oil and swirl to coat bottom. Add thighs skin side down and brown turning once, about 5 minutes a side. Transfer thighs to a platter and set aside.
Add remaining oil to pan, swirl and heat. Add onions, ginger, parsnips, celery and thyme. Season with salt and pepper and sauté vegetables, stirring until softened, about 6 minutes. Top with the thighs skin side up and bake uncovered until chicken and vegetables are done, about 25 to 40 minutes depending on size. Serves 4.