Traditionally, these oysters are grilled, but if you don't feel like barbecuing in the November air, heat your oven to 500F and proceed with the recipe.
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
Red pepper sauce:
- 1/2 cup roasted red peppers, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons chopped garlic
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 12 oysters, shucked, shells reserved
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan
- 1 tablespoon coarse fresh breadcrumbs
Melt butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add red peppers and garlic and sauté for 2 minutes, or until garlic is fragrant. Add parsley and season with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside to cool.
Preheat grill to high.
Pick 12 shells that will cradle oysters with their sauce. Spoon half a teaspoon of red pepper sauce into each shell. Top with one shucked oyster and sprinkle with another half-teaspoon of sauce. Garnish each with a pinch of parmesan and fresh breadcrumbs.
Carefully place oysters on barbecue so that sauce does not run out of shells. Close lid and grill for 1 to 2 minutes, or until sauce is just bubbling in the oyster shell. Use tongs to remove from grill and serve immediately. Serves 4