Use a peppery lettuce mix for this salad to contrast the sweetness of the figs.
- 4 large ripe Black Mission figs, quartered
- 2 tablespoons red wine
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons walnut or olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 8 cups mixed baby lettuce
- 3/4 cup gorgonzola cheese
- 1/2 cup slivered prosciutto
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
Preheat oven to 400 F.
Place figs in a small baking dish, cut side up, and sprinkle with red wine, balsamic vinegar and pepper. Bake for about 10 minutes or until figs are soft and juicy. Remove figs from dish, reserving juices, and let cool.
Drain fig juices into a bowl and whisk in oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Cool.
Place salad greens in a large bowl. Add gorgonzola and prosciutto and toss together. Toss with dressing.
Place on 4 plates and garnish with the figs and chives. Serves 4.