You can add your child's favourite ingredients, including pepperoni, roasted red peppers, garlic or cooked mushrooms, to this basic recipe. Fresh mozzarella is now at the supermarket in both cow's milk and buffalo varieties, but you can substitute whatever cheese the family may prefer. Brush pesto on the base if your kids like it or just dot it on top of the tomatoes.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pre-baked thin pizza crust
- 1 cup chopped fresh tomatoes, seeded
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons torn basil leaves
- 8 ounces (250 grams) fresh mozzarella, torn into pieces
- Extra virgin olive oil for drizzling (optional)
Preheat oven to 450 F.
Brush pizza crust with olive oil on both sides and place on a baking sheet. Sprinkle tomatoes over crust and season with salt and pepper. Scatter over basil leaves and top with cheese.
Bake for 10 to 15 minutes on the bottom rack of the oven or until cheese is melted and tomatoes have softened slightly. Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil if desired. Serves 4.