Snow-pea greens are always available in Asian supermarkets; watercress, with its sharper taste, is a good alternative.
- 4 oz (115 g) sugar snap peas
- 4 oz (115 g) snow peas
- 2 leeks, thinly sliced, white and light green parts only
- 1/2 cup Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 3 cups chicken stock or water
- 2 oz (55 g) snow-pea greens
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tbsp chopped chives
- 1/4 cup flaked smoked trout
String sugar snaps and snow peas and cut into 1-inch pieces. Combine with leeks and potato in a pot.
Add stock and bring to boil.
Reduce heat and simmer gently for 8 to 10 minutes, or until vegetables are tender. Add snow-pea greens and simmer for 2 more minutes or until tender.
Purée in food processor or blender with buttermilk. Season well with salt and pepper. Use a frother or small hand blender to froth soup for a modern look. This gives it a lighter texture.
Serve garnished with chives and flaked smoked trout.