- 1 pound (500 grams) New York sirloin
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon grainy Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon sambal ulek or other hot chili sauce
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon olive oil for searing steak
- 1 1/2 cups halved and seeded cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced garlic
- 2 slivered King mushrooms (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1/2 cup chicken or beef stock
Place sirloin in a dish and season with salt and pepper.
Combine olive oil, garlic, Dijon mustard, Worcestershire sauce, sambal ulek and rosemary. Spread over both sides of steak and marinate for 1 hour at room temperature. Preheat oven to 450 F.
Heat oil in an oven-proof skillet over high heat. Add steak and sear for 2 minutes a side, then place skillet in oven and roast for 8 to 12 minutes or until medium rare. Remove from oven, transfer steak to a cutting board, reserving skillet, and let the meat rest while making sauce.
Add tomatoes, onions and garlic to same skillet over high heat. Add mushrooms and stir-fry for 5 minutes or until mushrooms have softened. Add stock and any juice from meat to vegetables and bring to boil. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Slice steak and divide between two plates. Pile sauce on top. Serves 2.