- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon lemon rind, grated
- 1 teaspoon garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 1- 8 to 10 pound (3.5 kilograms to 4.5 kilograms) capon
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 400 F.
Combine butter, lemon rind, garlic and thyme, mashing with a fork. Use fingers to spread half of the butter mixture under the skin of the capon breast and down into the legs if possible. Spread the remaining butter mixture on top of the capon and season with salt and pepper.
Place capon on a rack over a roasting pan. Roast for 15 minutes per pound plus an extra 15 minutes or until juices are clear.