- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon five spice powder
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 cups thickly sliced rhubarb (1-inch pieces)
- 2 cups strawberries, quartered or halved
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon five spice powder
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
Combine flour, salt and five spice powder and cut in butter until mixture resembles small peas.
Combine cold water and lemon juice and sprinkle enough liquid over flour mixture to bring pastry together into ball, adding a little extra water if necessary. Form pastry into a ball, flatten into a disc, then wrap in plastic and chill for 30 minutes.
Preheat oven to 425 F.
Cut pastry into 6 equal pieces. Roll each piece out on a floured board into a 6- or 7-inch circle. Transfer to a parchment-lined baking sheet.
Toss together rhubarb, strawberries, sugar, flour and five spice powder in a bowl to make filling. Divide fruit mixture between prepared pastry rounds, leaving a 2-inch border. Fold edge of pastry up over filling to enclose, leaving centre open.
Beat together egg yolk and cream and brush over pastry. Sprinkle with sugar. Bake galettes for 15 minutes, then reduce heat to 350 F and bake another 20 minutes or until juices are bubbling and pastry is golden. Remove from oven and let sit until juices have thickened and cooled. Serve warm or at room temperature.