- ½ cup canola oil
- 2 cups finely chopped onion
- 1 3-inch stick of cinnamon
- 3 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
- 2 cups chopped tomato
- 2 tablespoon chopped ginger
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 3 pounds chicken thighs, bone in
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup chopped cilantro, including stems
Heat oil in a large pan on medium for 1 minute. Add onions and cinnamon, and sauté for 5 to 8 minutes, until onions are golden. Add garlic and sauté for an additional 4 minutes. Add tomatoes, ginger, cumin, coriander, garam masala, salt, turmeric, black pepper and cayenne. Cook for 5 minutes, or until the oil separates from the masala.
Remove and discard skin from the chicken thighs. Wash thighs and add to the masala. Stir well. Cook chicken thighs for 10 minutes, until the chicken looks cooked on the outside. Add sour cream and water and stir well. Bring to a gentle simmer, cover and cook for 15 minutes, stirring 2 or 3 times, until the chicken is completely cooked. Remove and discard the cinnamon sticks. Cool curry for at least 30 minutes. Reserve.
Transfer cooled chicken thighs to a mixing bowl. Wearing gloves, peel chicken meat off the bones. Discard bones and stir chicken back into the curry. Just before serving, heat curry on medium until it starts to boil lightly. Stir in cilantro.
Divide curry evenly among four bowls.