An excellent spring soup which can be made with frozen fiddleheads if fresh ones are not available. This soup can be made one day in advance of serving.
Serves: 6 to 8
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) butter
- 3 leeks, white part only, sliced
- 1 lb (500 g) fiddleheads, cleaned
- 5 cups (1.25 L) chicken stock
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) whipping cream
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 tsp (5 mL) grated lemon rind
Melt butter on medium heat in a large pot until it sizzles. Add leeks and fiddleheads and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes, or until coated with butter and beginning to soften.
Add stock, bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer, covered, for 20 to 25 minutes or until the fiddleheads are tender.
Purée soup in a food processor or blender until smooth. Press soup through a sieve to remove any fibers. Return it to the pot, add cream and simmer for 5 minutes. Season well with the salt, pepper and lemon rind. If the soup is too thick, add a little stock to thin it down.