- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon finely chopped anchovies
- 1/4 teaspoon finely chopped garlic
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 8 leaves black kale, ribs removed
- 6 dandelion leaves
- 1 small head escarole lettuce
- 2 red Belgian endive, finely sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped red onions
- 1/3 cup fried breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
Stir olive oil with lemon juice, anchovies and garlic. Season with salt and pepper. Let sit for an hour.
Slice kale and dandelion leaves finely and place in large bowl. Tear escarole into small pieces and add to kale along with Belgian endive. Toss in onions, bread crumbs and parsley.
Pour vinaigrette over salad one tbsp at a time, tossing until evenly dressed. Plate salads and sprinkle with extra bread crumbs, if desired.
To fry bread crumbs:
Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil with 1 small clove chopped garlic. Add 1 cup fresh bread crumbs and fry until browned.
When I think of bitter greens and anchovies, the mind leaps to dry Mediterranean whites. Point yourself at the Italian or Spanish aisles and choose just about any white you can afford. Beppi Crosariol