Serves: 4 to 6
- 3 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon or 1 tsp dried tarragon
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 red-leaf lettuce, torn into pieces
- 250 grams (8 ounces) smoked trout, skinned
- 250 grams (8 ounces) mini red-skinned potatoes, boiled
- 6 asparagus spears, trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces, blanched
- 1/2 cup finely sliced red onion
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, quartered
- 1 cup pitted black olives, halved
- 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
Stir vinegar with Dijon and tarragon. Gradually whisk in olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Reserve. Toss lettuce with 1/4 cup dressing in a large bowl. Line a platter with dressed lettuce.
Break trout into large flakes. Arrange trout, potatoes, asparagus, onion, eggs and olives in rows over the lettuce. Drizzle with remaining vinaigrette (there may be a little extra). Season with black pepper.