The juiciest and most flavourful mangoes hit markets in late May, so use them to make a sensational salad starter. Look for wonderful teardrop-shaped Alphonso mangoes from India or their Mexican cousins, Ataulfo.
- 8 ounces (250 grams) snow peas, stem end trimmed
- 2 mangoes, peeled and sliced
- 1 small red pepper, sliced
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon seasoned rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon grainy mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped basil
Bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Add snow peas and blanch for 1 minute. Drain, rinse under cold water until cold and drain again. Pat dry.
Combine snow peas, mangoes and red pepper in a bowl.
Whisk together orange juice, lime juice and rice vinegar. Whisk in mustard and sugar. Whisk in olive oil and season with salt and pepper to taste. Toss salad with dressing, transfer to a platter and sprinkle over basil. Serves 6.