This recipe was inspired by cookbook author and chef Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall's strawberry and cucumber pickles. The salad makes a wonderful accompaniment to chicken or a great topping for melted brie.
- 3 cups strawberries, hulled and halved
- 1 small English cucumber, cut into small chunks (about 2 cups)
- 1/4 cup seasoned rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon chopped mint
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Place strawberries and cucumber in a mixing bowl and toss with vinegar, sugar, mint and olive oil and season with salt and pepper to taste. Let stand for 10 minutes to allow flavours to develop. Serve salad drizzled with juices from the bottom of the bowl. Serves 4.