A charlotte is an English dish similar to a brown betty. Serve this one with lemon-ginger gelato or vanilla ice cream.
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1 1/2cups fresh breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon Chinese 5 spice powder or cinnamon
- 1/2 cup chopped toasted hazelnuts
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 8 ounces (250 grams) rhubarb cut in 1-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
Preheat over to 375 F.
Melt butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add crumbs and 5 spice powder and fry until crumbs golden brown (about 3 to 5 minutes). Stir in hazelnuts.
Combine orange juice, maple syrup and brown sugar in a medium pot and bring to boil, stirring over medium heat until sugar melts. Stir in rhubarb and remove from heat.
Butter a 5 cup gratin dish and spread one third of crumbs over the base. Add half of rhubarb, another layer of crumbs, the rest of the rhubarb and then most of its liquid, leaving a little for the topping. Finish with crumbs and the remaining juice. Dot with butter.
Place in oven and bake for 30 minutes or until rhubarb is cooked and juicy. Serve warm. Serves 4.