This squash-flecked quinoa risotto is a light yet substantial accompaniment for the rich, flavourful chicken.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cups diced squash (1/2-inch dice)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons chopped garlic
- 1 cup washed quinoa
- ½ cup white wine
- 3 cups hot vegetable stock or water
- ¼ cup whipping cream
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon white truffle oil (optional)
Heat oil and butter in a wide pot over medium heat. Add squash and sauté for 5 minutes or until squash is browned and has just begun to soften. Add onions and garlic and sauté for 2 minutes or until softened. Add quinoa and continue to sauté for 3 minutes or until toasty.
Add wine to pot and cook until liquid has evaporated. Add stock 1 cup at a time and cook, stirring often, until quinoa is still a bit firm (about 12 minutes).
Stir in cream and Parmesan cheese and season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve hot with a small drizzle of white truffle oil. Serves 4.