I love this as a topping to liven up Eggs Benedict (another option is Caramelized Onions With Spinach), but it also makes a wonderful side dish, full of spice and flavour.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil or lard
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 chorizo sausage, diced
- 2 19-ounce (540-ml) cans cooked kidney beans
- 1 cup chicken stock or water
- Hot pepper sauce to taste
- Salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped coriander
Heat oil or lard in skillet over medium high heat. Add onions and chorizo and sauté until onions are softened, about 2 minutes. Reduce heat to medium. Add beans and sauté to combine flavours, about 5 minutes.
Mash beans coarsely using a potato masher. Add stock or water and simmer gently for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until beans thicken. Season to taste with hot pepper sauce and salt and garnish with coriander. Serves 12.