For this recipe, the fish can be grilled if desired, but I like them just as well from the oven. Look for smaller trout where possible. If you end up with larger ones, cut them cross-wise to serve two.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 1½ cups finely chopped mushrooms (about 4 ounces or 125 grams)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon
- ½ cup chopped sorrel or spinach
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- ¼ cup vegetable or chicken stock
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/3 cup toasted chopped pecans
- 4 trout, about 12 ounces (375 grams) each, boned and butterflied
- Olive oil for brushing over fish
Preheat oven to 450 F.
Heat butter in skillet over medium-high heat and add onion.
Sauté for 1 minute and add mushrooms. Continue to sauté for 2 minutes or until mushrooms are juicy and stir in tarragon and sorrel. Remove from heat and stir in breadcrumbs. Add soy sauce and enough stock to moisten stuffing. Season with salt and pepper to taste and stir in pecans. Divide into 4 portions.
Season inside of each trout with salt and pepper and spread 1 portion of stuffing inside each trout.
Fold together like a book. Brush a baking dish with oil and place stuffed trout in it. Brush outside of trout with oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Bake for 10 minutes or until there is some white juice showing. Remove from oven, cool 5 minutes, remove top skin and transfer to 4 plates. Serve 4.