These fabulous fritters are easy to make, although they require deep frying. Serve a little spicy tomato sauce on the side for dipping if desired.
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup cornmeal
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1½ cups club soda
- 12 anchovies, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup grated mozzarella
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- Vegetable oil for deep frying
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
Stir together flour, cornmeal, salt, club soda, anchovies, mozzarella and oregano to make batter.
Heat about 2 inches oil to 350 F. Using 1 tablespoon of batter for each fritter, fry for 2 minutes or until golden. Drain on paper towels. Makes about 20 fritters.