To make this flavourful traditional dish, you can use supermarket olives as a base - they will taste totally different after this treatment. I prefer the large green or black olives (kalamata are good).
- 1 pound (500 grams) olives
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes, crushed
Preheat oven to 375 F.
Place olives, wine and 1 tablespoon olive oil in a baking dish and bake, stirring occasionally, for 40 minutes or until glistening and swollen. Remove from oven and prick each olive with a fork.
Combine garlic and parsley and pound together in a mortar and pestle or a mini-chop. Add vinegar, oregano, pepper, pepper flakes and remaining oil to make a spicy mixture. Add salt if needed. Place in bowl and stir in olives. Let stand for several hours before serving. Serves 6.