The Cherry Republic, a cherry emporium in Traverse City, has taken cherry products to imaginative new heights. My favourite was the chipotle cherry salsa and this is my take on it. You can triple this recipe easily. To keep longer, can it in a water bath for 10 minutes.
- 2 cups pitted tart cherries, fresh or frozen
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped dried tart cherries
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 tablespoon seeded and chopped chipotle pepper
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 2 cups chopped seeded tomatoes
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh coriander
- Salt to taste
Coarsely chop tart cherries (let them thaw if frozen and drain). Combine drained cherries, dried cherries, onion, chipotle, garlic, tomatoes, cider vinegar, sugar and coriander in a pot over medium heat. Bring to boil, then reduce heat and simmer over medium-low heat for 20 minutes or until flavours are combined and cherries and tomatoes are saucy.
Use an immersion blender to pulse until well combined but still chunky. Season with salt to taste.
Place in jars and keep refrigerated for up to 2 months. Makes 2 cups.