Serve these burgers in tortillas or on naan bread, topped with the spiced mint butter.
- ½ cup chopped onion
- ¼ cup unsweetened desiccated coconut
- 1 teaspoon fresh chopped ginger
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 1 tablespoon mango chutney
- 1 ½ pounds (750 grams) ground lamb
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 4 tortillas or 2 naan cut in half
Spiced mint butter:
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup chopped mint
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground fennel
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon Maldon or kosher salt
Preheat grill to high. Combine all ingredients except lamb in the bowl of a food processor and pulse until fine. Add lamb and gently incorporate. Season well with salt and pepper.
Divide evenly into 4 portions and shape into 1-inch-thick patties. Brush with melted butter and grill for 4 to 5 minutes a side or until desired doneness.
To make spiced mint butter (about 1/2 cup), combine butter, mint, cumin, coriander, fennel and peppercorns. Spread over top of cooked lamb burgers and sprinkle a little Maldon salt over the butter. Serves 4.