Try this Thai-style version for an Asian twist on the typical beef salad. To make it spicier, add 1/2 teaspoon of either red or green curry paste to the vinaigrette. Use leftover steak or bought roast beef.
- 12 ounces (375 grams) leftover steak or roast beef, slivered
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lime rind
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 3/4 cup torn coriander leaves
- 1 cup torn mint leaves
- 1 cup thinly sliced red onions
- 1 cup peeled and thinly sliced cucumber
- 2 cups bean sprouts, optional
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped green chilli or to taste
- 1 head leaf lettuce, separated
Combine lime juice, rind, fish sauce and sugar in a small bowl.
Place steak in a separate bowl and add coriander, mint, onions, cucumber and chilli. Pour dressing over and toss together. Pile salad onto a lettuce-lined platter.
To serve, wrap salad in lettuce leaves and eat out of hand or just let people help themselves. Serves 4.