- 9 brown rice lasagna noodles
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound (500 grams) ground beef
- 2 teaspoons garlic, chopped
- ½ cup red wine
- 1 796-ml can Italian tomatoes pureed with their juice
- 3 cups chicken or beef stock
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, chopped
- ¼ cup whole basil leaves
- ½ teaspoon chili flakes
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 cups ricotta cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup grated parmesan
- 14 ounces (400 grams) mozzarella, grated
Cook noodles according to package directions. Drain and toss with 1 tablespoon olive oil to prevent them from sticking together.
Heat remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil in a skillet over high heat. Add beef and garlic and sauté for 2 minutes or until beef loses its pinkness. Stir in wine, bring to boil and let wine bubble for about 3 minutes or until almost gone. Stir in tomatoes and stock and bring to a boil. Add oregano, whole basil leaves and chili flakes, then reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes or until tasty and reduced to about 6 cups. Stir in chopped basil and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Beat together ricotta, eggs and ½ cup parmesan. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Preheat oven to 350 F.
Brush a little bit of sauce on the bottom of a 9-by-13-inch or similar size casserole dish. Layer one-third of noodles, one-third of meat sauce, half of ricotta and one-third mozzarella. Repeat layers, finishing with meat sauce, mozzarella and remaining parmesan.
Bake when needed for 45 minutes or until sauce is bubbling and top is lightly golden.