- 2 pounds (1 kilogram) squash, buttercup or kaboka, peeled and diced
- 2 cups chicken stock or water
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 egg
- ½ cup whipping cream or sour cream
- ¼ cup breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
Preheat oven to 375 F.
Place squash and stock in pot. Bring to boil over medium heat. Cover and cook until tender, about 10 to 15 minutes.
Drain well and mash with a potato masher or fork. Mix in nutmeg, salt, pepper, egg and cream.
Place squash in a greased baking dish. Combine topping ingredients. Sprinkle over squash. Bake for 20 minutes or until heated through.