- 1 loaf horizontally sliced white and/or brown bread, crusts removed
- 1/2 cup butter, at room temperature
- 12 hard boiled eggs, grated
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup finely grated carrot
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onion, white part only
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 10 sweet gherkins
Spread each slice of bread with a light coating of softened butter.
Combine grated egg, mayonnaise, mustard, carrot and green onion. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Spread about 1/4 cup filling evenly on each slice bread. Place gherkins across short end. Roll up into a cylinder.
Wrap each roll tightly in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 8 hours. Slice each roll into 4 or 5 sandwiches. Makes about 40 sandwiches